Saturday, August 4, 2012

back in action, cooking and crafting (for good i hope...)

howdy! well i think i finally cracked out of my rut...
thursday i sewed up an i-can't-say-because-it's-a-suprise (should be able to say in 10 days or so when the package has arrived and been opened) and last night i cooked dinner
felt good to get back on the horse!

when buying produce at the farmer's market i grabbed a tray full of mexican squash just because it was a good price. i have only eaten it one way my whole life and have never used it to cook myself. i had no idea what i was gonna do with them but i guess it took a challenge to get me to make something haha
i went searching for recipes and came upon one of a casserole.
i tweaked it a bit and this is what i came up with
you need:
salt and pepper
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 tbsp oil
a small onion (i used half of a large onion) chopped bite size
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp paprika
3 small/med sized mexican squash (i didn't use the 4th pictured)
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes in lime juice and clantro
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (you can adjust more or less to your cheesy preference)
 first brown your ground beef. then sautee your squash, onions, and garlic with the tablespoon of oil until tender
add in your browned ground beef, can of diced tomatoes, and paprika
salt and pepper to taste
stir it up well
 transfer it all to a casserole dish
 cover with your shredded cheese
 bake at 400 degrees for 15 mins
mmm mmm yummy!
next time i plan on using a bit more cheese but it was terrific just the same.

i hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family did!
this is my last week of my English and Computer classes then it is 2 weeks off until Fall semester!
until then enjoying summertime and sunshine in my cool new shades!
(polka dot love)
 (pink hello kitty)
 xoxoxoxox
Lily Bean

3 comments:

  1. You're adorable and that casserole looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, "A Pretty Mess". I really do have to learn your real name. Anyway, I'm really enjoying your blog (glad to read you're back in your sewing/cooking groove, I know exactly how that feels!) I wanted to let you know that I'm passing on an award for you (and your Blog)! You can come grab it anytime
    http://followmehome.shellybean.com/2012/08/i-am-so-honored.html
    Congratulations!
    MIchele

    ReplyDelete