Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cosmetic Pouch

Here is a tutorial for the cosmetic bag I made. I did not follow a pattern or online tutorial. I flipped my store-purchsed cosmetic bag inside out and studied it until I understood what I need to do. I used a 5 inch zipper and a fabric scrap... Here goes:

I gathered my rotary cutter, rotary cutting mat, fabric, and ruler

I cut a rectangle 7 1/2" x 11"

Fold 1/2" on a short edge and pin your zipper in place
Sew the zipper on the first side. Then fold 1/2", pin, and sew the zipper on the second side. This will take some manuevering so that you sew a straight line on a tube shape using your machine.
I recommend sewing with the zipper closed so your bag works right when you are done.

This is what it should look like when you are done sewing both sides of the zipper and you flip the bag to check the way it looks.
 Pin each side of the bag and sew down the right and left sides. I always use a 1/4" seam.
1 side sewn, 1 side pinned

Measure 1" down the seams on the bottom corners. Mark the edge with pins so you will know where to sew. 


 Sew a straight line making triangles on each bottom corner.

 When you have done both side the bottom should look pinnched, like so:
 Flip your bag right sides out and you will see the bottom has taken form.
 Now you have the area on the top sides that the zipper doesn't cover. At this point i recommend opening the zipper enough to get your finger in to open it later.
 With the bag inside out, measure from where the zipper ends to 1 1/2 inches away at the edge (again creating a triangle).
Mark the end point with a pin.

Sew the right and left top corners. Then you can wiggle the zipper open and flip your bag right side out.





tah-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment